Pilchard, a small edible, commercially valuable marine fish of the herring family.
Pilchard can be considered as an important source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
There are various recipes in preparing Pilchard to a delicious taste.
It includes but not limited to; Pilchard curry recipe, Tinned fish cakes and pilchards, and cheesy pilchard & potato pie.
This post will highlight ways you can go about making yours.
1.PILCHARD CURRY RECIPE
Pilchard curry recipe was developed as a Malaysia delicacy can be prepared by making available the following ingredients and following the below listed cooking directions
- 1,425 grams tin of Pilchards in tomato sauce
- 1,400 grams tin tomatoes
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh red chillies. Deseed
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons of Malaysian fish curry powder
- 2 chopped potatoes into bite-sized chunks
- A few squirts of frylight
- Pinch of salt
- Blitz the ginger, chillies, chopped onions, and garlic in a blender. Add a little water.
- Put the pan onto the heat and add a few sprays of fry-light. Add the mixture from the blender on to the pan and stir for approximately ten minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooked, add a tin of tomatoes, the curry powder, and salt. Cook the mixture for, approximately, Ten minutes.
- Ensure that you are using low heat for cooking
- Put the chopped potatoes into the mixture and add a tin of water. Let it simmer for about fifteen minutes.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, cut the pilchards into half their length and add them onto the mixture. Here, you can choose to debone the pilchards or let them cook with the bones. The latter is more preferred for those seeking an extra dose of calcium. Heat the final mixture for a few minutes into the boil.
- Remove the stew from the oven and serve with boiled rice
2.CHEESY PILCHARD AND POTATO PIE
If you want something delicious you can resist the tempting view and taste of cheesy pilchard and potato pie. The pilchard and the cheese is marshed along side the potato then wrapped in flour to produce a pie
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tube chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 large potatoes ( peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 onions
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin pilchard
Fry the onions in hot oil until it softens. Add potatoes into the pan and cook until it softens too. Once the potatoes are soft, add potatoes into the pan and cook until it softens too. Once the potatoes are soft, add the baked beans, pilchard and all the required seasoning. Stir the mixture well until it is thoroughly cooked. Then put it aside to cool.
Mix flour, and salt but in a food processor. You should, however, beat the mixture until it looks like bread crumbs. Add eggs into the mixtures and continue beating it until it becomes dough. Once the dough is ready, remove it from the food processor and put it on a flour- dressed surface.
You then need to roll the dough and cut it into round shapes and apply beaten eggs on the edges of the shapes.
Scoop one full spoon of the pilchard filling and put it at the center of the dough. Sprinkle the filling with grated cheese. Make sure the cheese has been spread properly. Seal it using the back of your fork.
Brush the top of the pie with beaten eggs and put it in the oven using the baking tray. Set your oven at 180 degrees and let the pie to cook until it turns golden brown.
3.TINNED FISH CAKES AND PILCHARDS
If you are looking for a nourishing food which is easy to prepare and time saving, trying the tinned fish cakes and pilchards is the best choice.
50 grams of baby spinach/ lettuce for serving
2 large eggs
200ml of oil
4 medium sized potatoes
½ a bunch of fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoon of salt
1 medium sized onions 50g flour
1 can tinned pilchards in tomato sauce
Chop the parsley in no given order and put it into a mixing bowl. Set it aside. Also, peel and cut potatoes into edible size, boil until it is cooked. Set it aside too
Open the tin with the canned tomato sauced pilchard, and separate the pilchard from the tomato sauce. Do not discard the tomato sauce as it will be needed at a later stage
Remove the inners and bones from the fish and divide it into edible chunks. Put it into a bowl
Slice the onion into smaller pieces and add it into the mixing bowl
Gently mix all the ingredients in the bowl together so as to avoid mashing the potatoes
Using your hands, roll the mixture into balls and put it into hot oil for approximately two minutes as you can turn from time to time.
Remove the balls from the oils and put in paper towel to remove the excess oil
Serve with the tomato sauce from before mixed with parsley chops as your dipping sauce.
All these should be put on a bed of lettuce and baby spinach