There is no doubt about it: applying for tertiary studies is a big deal. For starters, you need to get your application in on time.
As a prospective student who is looking forward to enrolling in an institution of higher education, once you have all the necessary documents needed to pursue an admission, you also need to know the best time to do so.
This is why you need to check out these university application dates 2021 to find out whether there are institutions that could offer you a chance or not.
There are universities that are still open for application for 2020 in South Africa and you should know them. It will also provide you with insights into the 2021 university applications. Read on to know:
1. Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
The application process for the 2021 intake for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses is open from April and will close on 3rd August 2020. Prospectus students are advised to apply online and ensure that they submit all their support documents online before the deadline.
2. University of Fort Hare (UFH)
The deadline for the 2020 application of this institution was on 30th September 2019. Applications for the academic year 2021 are not open yet.
3. North West University (NWU)
Applications are open now. The closing date for submission of applications for the 2021 academic year for non-selection courses is 30th September 2020 while that of the selection courses is 30th June 2020. Application for music study closes on 31st July 2020.
4. University of the Free State (UFS)
The application process has already started. There are a few 2021 closing dates for prospectus students for different programmes:
- 31 May 2020 – MBChB, Radiation Sciences, Optometry, Physiotherapy
- 31 July 2020 – Architecture, Construction Economics and Management, Nursing
- 31 August 2020 – International undergraduate applications
- 1 September 2020 – Fine Arts
- 30 September 2020 – Drama and Theatre Arts, Geology, Forensic Sciences, Physics with Engineering Sciences, Music, Social Work, Community Development (QQ only), all non-selection programmes, and all University Access Programmes on the South Campus and the sub-regions.
5. University of South Africa (UNISA)
The online application for 2020 for this institution closed on 7th March 2020. The opening dates for 2021 have not yet been rolled out.
6. Rhodes University
Rhodes University’s 2021 application cycle is open now. The deadline for applications from all new students for admission to the university is 30th September 2020.
7. University of Johannesburg (UJ)
Applications for the 2021 academic year are received from 1st April 2020. The closing date is 30th September 2020.
8. University of the Western Cape (UWC)
The applications for 2021 are open now. UWC application forms are expected to be submitted on or before the 30th of September, 2020.
9. University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
The application process for undergraduate students is open now. Closing dates for undergraduate programmes:
- 30th June 2020 – Deadline for applying for a medicine course. No late applications are allowed.
- 30th September 2020 – Deadline for all the other undergraduate courses.
- Internal Transfer Applications will be opened on 1 June 2020.
10. University of Cape Town (UCT)
Application for the 2021 academic year for all the undergraduate programmes is open from 1st April 2020, and the process will close on 31st July 2020. Prospectus students are advised to take advantage of this period to apply online to increase their chances of securing a chance in the institution. Before proceeding with the application process, a prospectus student should ensure that they confirm with the school as the stipulated dates are subject to change.
11. University of Pretoria
The institution has transitioned to a fully online application process; hence prospectus students should take keen note of that. The University of Pretoria application dates for the 2021 academic year are as follows:
- 30th September 2020 – The closing date for the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Science and Faculty of Theology and Religion for South African students. Applications for non-South African students will close on 31st August 2020.
- 31st May 2020 – The closing date for students looking forward to pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture for both South African students and non-South African students.
- 30th September 2020 – The closing date for the other programmes in the faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology for South African students and 31st August for non-South Africans.
- 31st May 2020 – The closing date of the Faculty of Health Sciences and Veterinary courses for both South African and non-South African students.
- 30th June 2020 – The closing date for the Faculty of Humanities for the following courses: Bachelor of Drama, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Arts in Audiology, Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology, Bachelor of Arts Information Design. For the other courses in the faculty, the closing date is 30th September 2020 for South Africans and 31st August 2020 for non-South Africans.
- The closing dates for LLB, Bachelor of Arts Law, in the Faculty of Humanities, and Bachelor of Commerce Law, in the Faculty of Economics and Management Science, is 30th September 2020 for local students and 31st August 2020 for international students.
12. University of Witwatersrand (Wits)
Applications for resident students are open from 1st April 2020 and close on 30th June 2020 for the following programmes:
- All courses in the Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Audiology
- Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology
- BA Film and TV Bachelor of Architecture
Applications for the rest of the University of Witwatersrand courses will close on 30th September 2020.
13. University of Limpopo (UL)
You can apply at the University of Limpopo now. The university has released the closing date for 2021 prospectus students, and it is 23 September 2020 for both SA and international students.
14. University of Venda (UniVen)
The University of Venda has not rolled out its opening and closing dates for 2021 prospectus students. The application cycle is closed now.
15. University of Mpumalanga (UMP)
The university has not yet rolled out its opening and closing dates for the 2021 prospectus students.
16. University of Zululand (UniZulu)
The application process for 2020 was closed in 2019. New application deadlines are not announced yet.
17. Stellenbosch University
The institution is open for 2021 applications and will close on 30th June for all the undergraduate programmes. Residence applications will also close on the same day.
From this list, it is paramount to note that most of the institutions are currently accepting applications. If you wish to join any of these institutions of higher learning, you can begin the process early enough to avoid being caught up in the last-minute rush.
18. TVET Colleges
If you are not satisfied with the list of universities still accepting applications in South Africa, you might want to consider checking out these TVET colleges as you might stand a chance in one of them. Lyceum Correspondence College.
19. Lyceum Correspondence College
Lyceum Correspondence College receives applications throughout the year. The only difference is that the time that a prospectus student submits their application determines the time that they will take their examination.
20. Pearson Institute of Higher Education
Pearson Institute of Higher Education is now receiving applications for the January and July intake.
21. eta College
Applications for eta College can be made at any time of the year as the college offers several intakes. By now, you must have seen the pattern in the important dates for most of the institutions in South Africa. If you are persistent in pursuing your studies in 2020, you should consider the institutions whose deadline is not due. It is important to note that the university application dates are keenly followed and that most of the institutions do not accept late applications.