Taking out a cell-phone contract, opening a bank account, applying for finance or renewing your driver’s license are just some of the many instances that require proof residence.
We often think that financial institutions and government departments enjoy making us jump through hoops in order to get things done. But, that is not the reality.
So what is the purpose of it all? The short answer to this is ‘FICA’. At some point we have all heard the term and nodded along without actually knowing what it stands for.
The Financial Intelligence Centre Act (38 of 2001) or ‘FICA’ was introduced in 2001 to help fight financial crimes such as money laundering and terrorist activities.
One of the requirements of the Act is to identify persons correctly or, to ‘FICA’ the person. This means obtaining proof of a person’s identity (i.e. copy of their identity book or passport) and proof of residence.
What counts as proof of address?
For a document to be approved for use as evidence of residency, some conditions must be met. A document is valid if;
- It is not older than three months (for monthly issued reports.)
- It must not be older than one year (for documents that are issued annually.)
- It must show the township name and your ERF number or physical address.
- Documents with a postal address only are not acceptable
- Electronic records are permitted on condition that there is proof of the sender and their complete address details are visible on the document(s.)
- In cases where the proof of residence FNB bears the name of a third party, you must complete a cohabitation declaration and submit other relevant documents.
NB: The declaration statement should contain your name, your residential address, contact of the deponent, identity number of both the client and the deponent, the relationship between the deponent and the client, and verification of the address of the client.
What qualifies as proof of residence?
- You can use the following documents to prove your residency;
- A utility bill, such as municipal water bill, lights bill, or a statement from your property managing agent
- Policy statement or medical aid statement (The policy number should be visible on the document)
- An affidavit that confirms address (this only applies for individuals)
- A traffic fine statement issued by a Metro police station (E-toll statements are not allowed)
- A letter from your municipal councilor
- Your tax certificate
- A recent rental agreement or active lease
- An invoice of your municipal rates and taxes
- An account statement from a National Credit Regulator that is fully registered (The National Credit Regulator number should be clear.)
- Security service providers registered with the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority; the provider’s number should be visible
- Your mobile phone or telephone statement
- Your approved SARS document
- A valid letter or renewal for your television license
- Your license renewal or confirmation letter for your television
- A document showing your subscription television payment, such as your Multi-Choice statement
- A legitimate home loan statement from an approved financial institution
- Your long or short term insurance policy document from an approved financial institution
- Your vehicle registration or license document
- An official letter from an employer for an employee residing within the company or institution premises
- A formal registration letter from your college, university or technikon
There is a proof of residence South Africa template that citizens and residents can use. All you need to do is to get the proof of residence form and fill in the required details. You can access the proof of residence form South Africa from the nearby government offices.
The affidavit for proof of residence South Africa is also easy to fill. Typically, this is used when one resides in a property that is not theirs, such as a tenant. Unlike the property owner who does not require an affidavit as evidence of address because all the bills have their name, a cohabitant or tenant requires the affidavit. The affidavit may be made by the landlord or property owner. Alternatively, you can easily download the affidavit template and fill in all the required details as accurately as possible.