As motorists know, to stay on the right side of the law and drive legally on South African roads you need a valid driver’s licence.
Unfortunately, getting a driver’s licence isn’t a once-off thing, and that means you will be paying a visit to the traffic department and face long queues, every few years.
While it is a bit of an inconvenience to renew your driver’s licence, it is essential as driving with an expired permit is basically the same as driving without a licence altogether.
It could lead to fines and will undoubtedly be detrimental in the case of a car accident, Not to mention, insurance companies won’t cover motorists driving with an expired licence.
Many South African motorists don’t even know where to begin to renew their licence. This step-by-step guide is for those who are in a panic about taking on life admin and need of some peace of mind.
Drivers licence renewal requirements
Unlike the process of applying for a drivers permit, this process on how to renew driver’s license is less hectic as one does not have to go through the process of taking a driving license test. The only test that the motorist will go through is the eye test to evaluate the motorist’s eyesight. At the centre, one will also be required to provide their fingerprints, so, if you were wondering whether it is possible for someone else to renew the licence for you, that is not possible.
Renew drivers license South Africa
Apart from the eye test that a motorist has to go through, they will be required to provide the following documents:
- An identity document and a copy of the same. For non-residents, they will be required to provide their passport. To add to it, one will be required to present their expired driving licence card.
- Four black-and-white or colour ID-sized passport photos.
- Proof of residential address. The documents that could be used to serve this purpose include a utility bill. For cases where the utility bill is not attached to the applicant’s name, they will be required to provide an affidavit to prove the same.
- The stipulated application fee.
- If the applicant stays in an informal settlement, they will be required to present an official letter that has been stamped by the ward councillor.
For those staying within Gauteng, they will be required to apply online by following the procedures. For applicants who are not residents of Gauteng, they will access the drivers licence renewal form at the DLTC centres.
All the applicants will be required to fill in the drivers license renewal form DL1. They will also be required to fill in the NCP form which contains the details of the notification of change of address or particulars of person.
Drivers license renewal cost
The charges for undertaking this process vary from one centre to another. One should, therefore, consult with the centre that is near them for the charges. Although it’s a fairly straightforward process, many people might not know where to start to renew driver’s license.
Where to renew drivers license
Renewal of driver’s license is done at Driving Licence Testing Centres. If you were wondering about drivers licence renewal form dl1 download and who to contact for the process, you could reach to the following locations by selecting the one that is near you:
- City of Tshwane
- City of Johannesburg
- City of Cape Town
- Eastern Cape municipalities
- Nelson Mandela Bay
- Free State municipality
- Gauteng municipalities
- KwaZulu Natal municipalities
- Limpopo municipalities
- North west municipalities
- Western Cape municipalities
- Mpumalanga municipalities
- Northern Cape municipalities
Following each one of the stipulated steps will save you time and money. You do not have to incur extra charges when you can go through this process on time.