Orthodontic clinics mainly recommend braces to patients having irregular teeth alignment, which is a significant cause of uncomfortable bites, chewing difficulties, and unclear speeches.
Braces are dental devices used to align the teeth correctly so that patients can get beautiful smiles.
So, how much do braces cost in South Africa 2020? The cost of braces varies considerably depending on the required treatment specialties and appliances.
Different types of teeth braces come with their pricing, further making the costs highly variable from one patient to another regardless of their age.
There are different types of these orthodontic devices as well as conditions for which they are necessary. The main types include:
- Ceramic braces
- Inman aligners
- Invisible braces
- Friction-free Damon
- Metal or ceramic with brackets bonded to the teeth
Each of these brace categories come with a different price tag.
Orthodontic conditions that require braces
Some of the main conditions which determine how much you will pay for your braces include the following:
- Overbite – teeth on the upper jaw are too far forward, therefore, sticking over the lower jaw teeth
- Crowding – too many teeth for space in the mouth
- Underbite – lower jaw teeth are too far ahead, and upper teeth are too far back
- Open bite – problems with spacing between teeth when biting
- Crossbite – upper teeth do not come down slightly in front of your lower teeth during a normal bite
- Spacing – gaps between teeth primarily caused by missing some teeth
How much are braces in South Africa?
Orthodontic sources indicate that the cost of these devices varies considerably between R3,000 and R55,000 based on their type, underlying condition, frequency of treatment, and appliances. Other orthopedic procedures relating to this orthodontic device without treatment plans may cost lesser. However, in general, the cost of children braces in South Africa is lower compared to adult braces.
Below are estimated costs of orthodontics, including all consultation and alignment costs in SA
- First consultation, x-rays, diagnostic photos, and treatment plan (R2,600)
- Outside or labial braces (R25,000)
- Inside or lingual braces (R42,000)
- Optional tooth-coloured brackets; upper (R2,800) and lower (R1,800)
- Post-treatment x-rays, photos, and retention appliances (R2,900)
It is worthwhile noting that the Invisalign cost is fairly the same as the cost of ceramic braces.
At Sunset Dentistry in Fourways Johannesburg, the consultation fee is about R500. For a complete treatment, one needs to pay a lumpsum of about R24,000. Luckily, the hospital offers monthly payments of R1,400 per month. Here is the cost of braces based on different dentist Cape Town price list, including metal braces cost in South Africa.
Dental Centre Century City
- Location: Century Medical Suites, Century City, Cape Town, 7441
- Orthodontic retainer: R4,500 – R8,000
- Braces: R12,000 – R28,000
- For adults: R12,000 – R35,000
- For children: R8,000 – R25,000
- Clear aligners: R25,000 – R55,000
- Metal ones: R3,000 – R33,000
- Ceramic ones: R16,000 – R37,000
- Fixed ones: R13,000 – R33,000
Kromboom Dental Centre
Location: Cnr Kromboom and Burwood Rds, Rondebosch East, Cape Town, 7780.
Telephone: 087 550 3622 ext: 66876
- Orthodontic retainer: R1,000 – R3,000
- Braces: R8,000 – R30,000
- For adults: R10,000 – R30,000
- Clear ones: R12,000 – R50,000
- Metal ones: R8,000 – R28,000
- Lingual: R20,000 – R40,000
- Damon™: R10,000 – R30,000
Dr Johan Hartshorne
Location: Intercare Medical and Dental Centre, 43 Old
Telephone : 087 550 3622 ext: 64087
- Braces: R22,600 – R34,000 for orthodontic treatment applicable to both children and adults
Note that traditional braces are the ones made from metal. These orthodontic devices are preferred widely because of their comfortable design and reliable alignment functionality. Their precise and effective teeth movement makes them an excellent choice for most alignment applications.