Tenderizing steak is a process to reduce the toughness of meat fibers in a cut of meat. Tenderizing breaks down the meat fibers and softens the meat, making it easier to chew and more palatable. Tenderizing can occur before meat is sold, during a preparation process, or while it is cooking. Some of the methods used are aging processes, marinating the meat in acid-based substances, using commercial meat tenderizers or by cooking the meat very slowly.
1. Beat it
Pounding meat with a mallet is a surprisingly effective way to tenderize it. The downside is that it can actually work too well, turning your meat into mush.
2. Marinate with acid
Acids can help break down tough meat. Soaking meat in a marinade made with lemon or lime juice, vinegar, buttermilk or even yogurt can help tenderize tough proteins. The key is to not leave the meat in the marinade for too long, as acids can weaken the protein structure of the meat too much, making it too soft and mushy. Aim for 30 minutes to two hours, but check periodically to see if the meat is starting to look cooked around the edges. That’s how you’ll know it’s been marinating too long.
3. Salt it
Heavily salting a tough cut of meat and letting it sit an hour or two before you cook it is an effective way to break down tough muscle fibers, no fussy marinade needed. When you’re ready to cook, just rinse off the salt, pat the meat dry and add it to a hot skillet.
Best Tenderized steak recipe SA
There are many types of tenderised steak resepte you can prepare at home. The tenderised steak recipe you choose depends on the ingredients present and what you would like to taste. The following are the most common steak resepte.
How to cook tenderised steak with mushrooms and cheese
Tenderised meat (3 pieces)
Brown onion soup (1 packet)
Dry white wine (½ cup)
1. In an ovenproof baking dish, place the foil.
2. Take half the brown onion soup and sprinkle it directly on the place where you will place the steaks.
3. Take the black pepper and sprinkle on the meat (both sides) and then place them on the foil. The black pepper will improve the taste of the steak; therefore, you will not need to add salt.
4. Take the remaining brown onions soup, sprinkle them on top of the meat, and then fold the foil.
5. Put the folded tenderised meat in the oven.
6. Bake for at least 35 minutes on 180°C.
7. Remove the meat from the folded foil.
8. Take the dry white wine and mix it with the sauce in the foil.
9. Add the quartered mushrooms to the wine mixture and then sprinkle black pepper.
10. Cover the mushroom mixture in the foil and bake for about 7 minutes.
11. Put the baked mushroom mixture and grated cheese in a serving dish.
12. Place the baked meat on the serving dish with the grated cheese and the mushrooms.
13. Serve with sauce and pap.
How to cook tenderised steak and brown gravy
Tenderised meat (4 medium pieces)
Cooking oil (1/2 cup)
Seasoning (4 tablespoons)
Kitchen bouquet (1 tablespoon)
Dry onion mix (1 package)
All-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
1. Apply the seasoning on both sides of the meat.
2. Dip the seasoned meat in flour.
3. Heat 1/2 cup of cooking oil in a deep pan until hot.
4. Place the meat in the hot oil and let it cook for about 10 mins until both sides of the steak are golden brown.
5. Pour water in the meat until it is completely covered.
6. Add the kitchen bouquet and onion soup mix in the meat and slightly stir.
7. Let the mixture boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer for about 30 mins until the meat is tender.
8. Serve over the steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or as desired.