With so many open-market medical aid plans in the country, it’s difficult to identify and choose the best one. Even if you believe you’re on the ideal scheme, your needs are unique.
You should review your medical aid towards the end of every year to see if it continues to best meet those needs and decide whether it is worth switching.
So, if you have not subscribed for a health cover, we have a piece of good news for you.
This article has all that you need to know about medical aid quotes and schemes in South Africa, medical aid comparisons in 2021, and other useful information.
5 cheapest medical aid quotes that you should never miss in 2021
From physiotherapy to dialysis, health costs can be crippling, more so in emergency situations. When you lack health quotes, you deny yourself access to important funds for you and your family. Luckily, there are lots of affordable medical aid schemes that suit the low-income class. This means that medicare aid does not have to cost a fortune. You can subscribe to medical aid for less than R500 or less per member in a month. Below is a list of some of the cheapest medical aid covers in 2021.
1. Fedhealth – Maxima Exec
Fedhealth maxima exec benefit bundle gives you peace of mind as an established family member. This comprehensive plan leaves not a single thing to chance, especially for senior adult members. This cheap health aid will also cover you for chronic diseases. As a member, you will get access to:
- Unlimited hospital cover in all private hospitals
- 7 days of take-home medication
- Female contraceptives such as rings, patches, and oral pills
- Post-hospitalisation care for up to 30 days after discharge
- Trauma treatment at a casualty ward regardless of whether you are admitted to a hospital or not. However, an R570 co-payment per visit applies to non-PMBs if not admitted to a hospital direct from the casualty.
- Unlimited visits to Fedhealth Network GPs
- Contracted fixed rates by Fedhealth Network Specialists
You can also read more about their monthly contributions and unique bonus benefits. You can also download the Maxima EXEC member guide.
2. Resolution Health – Foundation
The foundation option is ideal for employers willing to offer premium quality healthcare coverage for their low-income workers. The option entails in-hospital plans and sufficient day to day covers for GPs and Specialists. The health insurance also provides extensive preventative care benefits, optometry, dental and Unlimited in-hospital HIV benefit to all members. Need a brochure, get it here. The foundation scheme offers both child and student dependent options. According to them, a child is defined as a dependent below 21 years. This definition excludes spouses and partners.
3. Momentum Health – Ingwe Option
The ingwe plan has a fixed annual limit per family. The most advantageous part of this scheme is that you can choose to visit any hospital for health services. Nevertheless, there is a hook, only private hospitals in the Ingwe network. For the lowest monthly contribution, you can use state hospitals. Ingwe option is affordable, entry-level cover for hospitalization with a set annual restriction per family. Further, momentum medical aid ranks 3rd among the largest medical aid schemes in the country, and 5th largest overall; below the police health scheme (POLMED). The scheme offers:
- Unlimited overall annual hospitalization
- 33 plans across 6 schemes categories
- Covers 26 to 62 chronic health conditions
- Health platform benefit for screening and preventive care
- Works hand in hand with the Momentum Multiply rewards programme
- Offers additional products like HealthSaver to ease medical savings
4. Momentum – Ingwe student plan
Ingwe student plan is the cheapest hospital plan in South Africa. This plan is ideal for students who have no-income but need a Visa and health insurance. For as low as R407 per month, you will get unlimited doctor visits, eye care, dentistry, and specialist visits. In addition to these benefits, you will get a free chest x-ray for your visa requirements. Local students can also benefit from this scheme by getting services from designated health providers.
5. Discovery Health – KeyCare Start
Discovery Healthcare Keycare Start provides vast clinical benefits and day-to-day cover at network providers and state-owned facilities only. This plan is a cheap, income-based total answer that is perfect for entry-level clients. As a member, you will get unlimited hospital aid for medically appropriate GP consultants, X-rays, blood tests, basic dentistry and eye care for KeyCare networks. This plan offers the following services:
- 27 plans across 7 schemes categories
- Access to screening and prevention benefits covering tests early signs of deadly illnesses
- Limitless hospital cover on all the Discovery Health Medical Scheme plan. This means you can get healthcare services from any private hospital on most plans.
- Collaborates with the vitality programme and the Discovery Bank
- Daily Extender Benefit (DEB) for essential healthcare services in its network upon exhaustion of medical savings
- Above Threshold Benefit (ATB) that offers daily cover after reaching the annual threshold