Are you a prospective student who is looking for options on an institution of higher learning to enrol to and pursue your course of choice?
If that is the case, the Wits university is one of the institutions of higher learning that you could check out.
For you to become a student, you have to go through either their online application process. The institution follows a strict online procedure that every individual wishing to join the institution must adhere to.
Similar to many other higher learning institutions, applicants should be meticulous with their Wits online application procedure in case you want to secure a slot in the institution.
Stick around as we explore different processes of the institution, including tracking of your Wits application status in 2021.
Wits University courses offered
Wits University courses have been strategically designed to help students achieve their dreams and become relevant in the marketplace. So, if you are you considering the institution, here are the courses offered at Wits University.
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Bachelor of Science in Urban and Regional Planning – BSc (URP)
- Bachelor of Science in Property Studies – BSc (PS)
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Studies- BSc (CS)
- Bachelor of Architectural Studies – BAS
- Bachelor of Science (Engineering) – BSc Eng
- Bachelor of Engineering Science in Digital Arts – BEngSC (Digital Arts)
- Bachelor of Engineering Science in Biomedical Engineering – BEngSC (BME)
Faculty of Commerce, Law, and Management
- Bachelor of Economic Science (BEconSc)
- Bachelor of Commerce Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Bachelor of Accounting Science (BAccSc)
Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice – BCMP
- Bachelor of Dental Science – BDS
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy – BSc(OT)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy – BPharm
- Bachelor of Health Sciences – BHSc (Biomedical Sciences, Biokinetics or Health Systems Sciences)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Sciences – BOHSc
- Bachelor of Nursing – BNurs
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy – BSc(Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery – MBBCh
Faculty of Science
There are different fields of study which are covered for those who desire to apply for a Bachelor of Science (BSc) Programme in this faculty. These include the following:
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Faculty of Humanities
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and Performance – BA (Theatre and Performance)
- Bachelor of Education – BEd
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Arts – BA Digital Arts
- Bachelor of Audiology Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology
- Bachelor of Music – BMus
- Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television – BAFT
- Bachelor of Arts – BA
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts – BA Fine Arts
For additional information on Witwatersrand University admission and other questions that you may have, you can download the Wits undergraduate prospectus, as it contains more information.
Does Wits offer part time studies?
For prospective students who want to combine study and career development, there are Wits part time degrees that have been selected from undergraduate degrees. The degree programmes available at the university on a part-time basis are:
- BCom Degree
- BCom/BA Degree with Law
- Honours in Psychology
- BSc Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
How do I register online at Wits?
If you want to register online, all you have to do is to visit the official online application portal of the institution to create an account. Once you have done that, you would be able to log in and complete the registration process. However, here are a few things that you need to note when you are applying to the University of Wits:
- While you would be able to apply for three programmes on a maximum level, you do not have to choose in the order of preference.
- Once you apply for two programmes from a faculty, the last programme that you would apply for should be from a faculty that does not have much restrictions. An example of such is Humanities.
- Make sure that your options are as open as possible.
- Also, you do not have to enter any duration based on the programme that you are applying for since your application is for the first year of study.
- Lastly, if you are a South African citizen, you will have to pay a non-refundable application fee of R100, but if you are a foreign citizen, you must pay R700.
How do I check my application status at Wits?
If you want to check the state of things with your admission, simply visit the self service portal Wits. Once you are there, you will be required to enter your student identification number which is also called your “Person number”, and afterwards, your password.
Your password is your date of birth, and it is written in this format “YYMMDD”. An example of this format is 861022. Once you have correctly entered that information, you may then sign in.
Wits closing dates for 2021
Applications for 2021 are open now. But residence applications will be open on the 1st of April, 2020. There is a slight difference in the closing dates based on the programme that a prospective student may want to apply for at Witwatersrand.
However, for any other programme that you want to apply for in any of the remaining four faculties, you still have the privilege of doing that until the 30th of September, 2020. Then, also bear in mind that residence application also closes on the same date.
My Wits self service
Among several services that students enjoy, here are a few of the services that you will have access to once you become an admitted student of the institution.
Wits self services portal
The self-service portal grants every student of the University of Witwatersrand the opportunity to do some things without stress. The self service portal enables students to view their Residence Status (for those that it applies to), personal information, and their financial aid application.
There is an online learning management platform that the institution has made available to both students and lecturers which is known as Wits-e. This platform helps lecturers load blended course material that students can benefit from.
Wits students email
Another service that students enjoy is personal emails. Every official information that the institution has for every student is usually sent to their Wits email address. And good enough, the account comes with 25 GB of storage, which gives room for enough storage.