Whisky is originally from Italy, where one can trace the earliest records of distillation. After the introduction of whiskey, the Irish and Scottish took it upon themselves to refine the distillation process, giving birth to some of the most expensive whiskey brands we know today.
South African whiskey has received its fair share of international recognition. This is particularly true for the three whiskeys from the James Sedgwick Distillery that won the ‘World’s Best Blended Whisky’ award during the Whisky Awards that were held in London in 2012. Below we explore the most expensive whiskey in South Africa that money can buy.
Top 10 whisky brands in South Africa
1. Royal Salute, 45 years – R 2,960,000
2. Macallan 60 years old – R 16.5 million:
3. Balvenie 50 years, Speyside single-malt whisky – R560,669.65:
4. Glenlivet 50-year-old Winchester Collection Speyside single malt Scotch whisky – R430,728.15:
5. Glenfiddich 50-year-old price–R485,000:
6. Glenlivet 1940 70 years– R323,000:
7. Glenfarclas 60-year-old whisky – R277,236:
8. Glen Grant, 50 years- R152,800:
9. Balvenie 40 years- R66,500:
10. Glenfiddich 40 years- R52,600: